Saturday, February 20, 2010

Lent

Lent: the start of Easter: a Catholic observance. Tradition goes that you give up something for 40 days to parallel Jesus' long journey in the desert where He did not have food or drink for 40 days and 40 nights. Me, being a very religious catholic, saw a whole different side when I came to college. I saw girls giving up every food except vegetables and fruits. Taking lent into an extreme. Turning a religious holiday into an eating disorder. How does one go from religious observance to essentially starving yourself? I still do not understand it. However, I learned that anyone can take a simple thing into a complex self-interested, unhealthy obsession. The fact that spring break is during lent, only makes these matter worse. I have noticed that people take things differently and justify their instabilities with religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment